• researchhat

SABIC

Updated: Jun 5

Brief Company Profile


SABIC or Saudi Basic Industries Corporation is one of the largest diversified chemical companies in the world. Headquartered in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, SABIC employs over 33,000 people across 68 plants and innovation centers. It caters to construction, medical devices, packaging, agri-nutrients, transportation, electrical & electronics and clean energy markets. SABIC was incorporated in 1976 and began production in 1981.


SABIC sites across the world


Business Segments


SABIC has three strategic business units, Petrochemical, Specialties and Agri-Nutrients and a fully owned affiliate, Hadeed, a metals business.


Petrochemicals

The largest segment of SABIC. It has a wide range of chemicals, polymers and materials used in various industries including automotive, healthcare, construction, household goods, and packaging industry.

The product line includes olefins, methanol, aromatics, glycols, polyethylene, polypropylene, polycarbonates, engineering thermoplastics and blends to name a few.


Specialties

The product portfolio of the Specialties segment includes high performing materials, resins, a vast range of compounds, copolymers and a variety of thermosets and additives. The offerings under the segment are used in camera lenses, barrel and spacers, multi-component devices for radar systems, sensors etc. Huge opportunities for these segment lie in Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) for conventional and autonomous vehicles.


Agri-Nutrients

Under this segment, SABIC provides urea, ammonia and a comprehensive range of nitrogen based inorganic products. Middle East, Far East, Africa and the US are the key customer markets for this segment.


Metals (Hadeed)

Hadeed is a fully owned manufacturing unit of SABIC. It is involved in production and manufacturing of steel. Its offerings include Long Products - rebar and rods; and Flat Products - various types of rolled coils. In steel production, Hadeed is a leader in the gulf market and the metal products are sold under SABIC brand.


For R&D activities, SABIC has partnered with 28 global and Saudi universities and runs five technology and innovation hubs. In partnership with renowned companies like Exxon Mobil, Clarient, Total, Mitsubishi Chemicals, SABIC is exploring various technological developments for future growth.

Contribution to sales by segments, in 2019



Petrochemicals and Specialties segments are clubbed for financial reporting.


Total sales in the year 2019 was SAR 139.7 billion.


Average exchange rate USD to SAR in 2019: 3.7500



Sales by region, in 2019




SABIC's largest customer base is from Asia including China, followed by Europe, Saudi Arabia and the Americas.







Financial Performance

Source: SABIC Annual Report 2019

In terms of USD, SABIC's revenues in 2019 clocked $ 37 billion.


For the first quarter of 2020, SABIC's total revenues reached SAR 30.8 billion with a net loss of SAR 0.95 billion. The revenues are down by 18% as compared for the same period last year. Further detailed financials are awaited.


Recent Investment Activities

  • May 2020 - SABIC's investment arm Nusaned Investment and SCHMID Group have entered into a joint venture for technology development and manufacturing of Vanadium Redox Flow Batteries. The JV aims to become a global leader in growing utility-scale energy storage market.

  • December 2019 - SABIC entered into a share-purchase agreement with Saudi Arabian Fertilizer Company (SAFCO). Under this agreement, SAFCO will acquire SABIC's Agri Nutrient Investment Company, SANIC in exchange of shares. It will increase SABIC's ownership in SAFCO to 50.1%

  • March 2019 - Saudi Aramco agreed to acquire 70% majority stake in SABIC from the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia in a private transaction. The rest 30% shares are publicly traded. The total value of the transaction was USD 69.1 billion.


Competition

DuPont, BASF and LyondellBasell are SABIC's top competitors.


For a detailed, customized company profile, research reports, please submit your requirements below.


Recent Posts

See All

Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings

Brief Company Profile. MCHC group manages several entities in performance products, industrial materials and healthcare businesses.

BASF

A brief profile of BASF. Involved in Chemicals, Materials, Industrial Solutions, Surface Technologies, Nutrition & Care and Agri-solutions.

LG Chem

Brief Company Profile. Headquartered in Seoul, South Korea, it is one of the top ten chemical companies in the world today.

Submit research requirements

For customized research content, please fill in the form below and we will get back soon.

Call us: +91-9579301702

  • Grey Twitter Icon

© 2020 researchhat.com